University activists host events, rally defending DACA recipients

By Clare Budin, Assistant Daytime News Editor, Assistant Special Sections Editor

I-CAUSE at the University is hosting Home is Here Week leading up to the Supreme Court’s first day of oral arguments reviewing the deferred action status of those under the protection of DACA. 

Home is Here Week has already included a talk by Faculty Attorney Lauren Aronson on Nov. 5 discussing the possible impact the court’s decision will have on over 700,000 DACA recipients and a phone bank event at La Casa where students could contact state senators and representatives to urge them to fight for permanent protections for DACA youth.

Other events included a conchas and alfajores sale at the Illini Union and La Casa Thursday and a day of action Friday where students listened to speakers and attended interactive workshops at the University YMCA.

Home is Here Week will culminate Tuesday with a Home is Here Rally scheduled by the Alma Mater at 5 p.m. 

According to I-CAUSE’s Facebook page, the rally will include speakers and a march around the Main Quad “to demand the court to rule on the right side of history.”

The fate of the DACA program established during the Obama administration has been uncertain since the Trump administration announced its termination on Sept. 5, 2017. Since then, there have been three national injunctions that have allowed those previously under the DACA system to renew their deferred status to prevent deportation.