Attempted robbery reported outside of Union

By The Daily Illini Staff Report

A Massmail sent out around 12:30 p.m. Wednesday by Police Chief Craig Stone stated an attempted robbery took place outside of the Illini Union late Tuesday night.

According to the Massmail, around 11:56 p.m. Tuesday, a student was standing near the entrance of the Union when two people approached him.

While one offender complimented the student’s backpack and pulled at it, the other struck the student. Both offenders ran away after.

The student was not seriously injured and nothing was stolen, the email read.

Although no arrest has been made, surveillance footage was obtained in order to identify the suspects, one who was wearing a mask.

The University of Illinois Police Department, along with Champaign and Urbana police patrol campus every day.

“Between these agencies, the Urbana campus is one of the most highly-patrolled areas in the region. More than 1,900 security cameras are posted around campus to deter crime and identify offenders,” the Massmail said.

The Massmail said the message was not necessarily an indication that crime rates in the area have increased. However, it was released in order to prevent any future similar crimes and to help identify the offenders.

Anyone with information is encouraged to contact the University of Illinois Police Department.