Coronavirus indirectly affects CU community

People+line+up+to+purchase+tickets+at+the+AMC+Champaign+13+located+on+Meijer+Drive+on+Saturday+evening.+The+release+of+Chinese+movie%2C+%E2%80%9CDetective+Chinatown+3%2C+was+delayed+due+to+the+coronavirus+crisis+that+originated+in+the+Wuhan+region+of+China.+

Mark Capapas

People line up to purchase tickets at the AMC Champaign 13 located on Meijer Drive on Saturday evening. The release of Chinese movie, “Detective Chinatown 3, was delayed due to the coronavirus crisis that originated in the Wuhan region of China.

By Heather Robinson, Staff Writer

The coronavirus, now an official global public health emergency, has reached its eighth confirmed case in the United States. 

With the announcement of two confirmed cases within a Chicago family, local health centers are increasing the precautions they are taking to maintain public safety. 

While there have been no confirmed cases of the coronavirus on campus, and no students in question of containing the virus, the effects are still present locally. 

According to a Massmail, at the University there are approximately 150 students from the Wuhan area, where the virus originated. However, many of them had not traveled home since the outbreak of the virus.

Runze Sha, senior in Media and president of the Chinese Student Scholars Association, said he was very shocked and worried upon first learning of the coronavirus outbreak. 

Sha said one of his friends visited Wuhan during winter break and is unable to return to campus due to the coronavirus outbreak.

Over the past few days, students have taken to social media to discuss the national issue of racism Chinese people have faced in the wake of the virus outbreak. 

Sha said while he has not personally experienced any hateful comments from others due to his nationality, he would say that it is everyone’s responsibility to protect themselves well to avoid the coronavirus. 

“We as CSSA take this issue very seriously. To make sure our campus be without coronavirus, it is necessary for us to do the self-protection well,” Sha said.

Sha added that in order to best prevent the coronavirus from happening on campus, the CSSA has decided to cancel all events before Feb. 9. 

Other effects of the virus have also manifested locally, such as the cancellation of Chinese film “Detective Chinatown 3” at the Savoy 16 movie theater.

The crisis of the coronavirus caused the delay of the film’s release in Chinese theaters. According to law, the film must first premiere in China before its initial showing in the U.S.

According to Melissa Garske, general manager of Savoy 16, in the two-day period of sales, 31 tickets were purchased for the anticipated film.

Garske said she is unsure whether or not the movie will eventually show at Savoy 16. 

“We have a lot of interest, so I’m hopeful that once it is able to premiere in China that we will pick it up. It just depends on when that happens and what kind of other movies are coming out of that time in terms of availability,” Garske said. 

Garkse added that all purchases were fully refunded, and those who purchased tickets were notified prior to the previously anticipated showtime.