Champaign County primary results

Brigida Dockus

Andy Fung, a sophomore in DGS looks up the exact address for his residence hall so his ballot may be printed at the Illini Union on March 5.

By Salem Isaf, Assistant Daytime News Editor

The 2020 Illinois primary elections were held on Tuesday, March 17, with former Vice President Joe Biden decisively winning the state’s Democratic presidential primary. Biden took about 59% of the vote, while Sen. Bernie Sanders has around 39%. President Trump won the Republican primary with 96% of delegates to Roque De La Fuente’s 4%.

In Champaign County, Sanders carried about 48% of the vote, while Biden totaled a little over 45%. The results remained the same as the rest of the state for the Republicans, 96% to 4% in Trump’s favor.

Sen. Dick Durbin won his primary unopposed for the Democrats, and Mark Curran Jr. won the Republican primary for U.S. Senator. In the 13th Congressional District, Democrat Betsy Londrigan will be running against Republican Rodney Davis. In the 15th Congressional District, Democrat Erika Weaver will be running against Republican Mary Miller. 

In Champaign County, nearly 33,000 people voted; 23,000 voters fewer than the 2016 primary. 

There were many local positions up for primary elections in the county as well. Democratic candidates that won their primaries and will be running in the fall include George Danos for auditor, Chaundra Bishop for coroner, Mike Ingram for recorder of deeds, Julia Rietz for state’s attorney and Susan McGrath for circuit clerk. 

Republican candidates running in the fall include Katie Blakeman for circuit clerk, Duane Northrup for coroner and Mark Shelden for recorder of deeds.

Scott Lerner and Ramona Sullivan will be running for the sixth judicial circuit for the Democrats, while Cheralyn Kesler, Jason Bohm and Jeffrey Geisler will be running for the Republicans.

The rest of Champaign County’s election results can be found here

Editor’s note: A previous version of this article misrepresented the primary results as final, and did not include several Republican candidates that won their primary elections. The Daily Illini regrets these errors.