COVID-19 cases, closures and cancellations: a running list by The Daily Illini

Mark Capapas

A sign sits on the front door of Foellinger Auditorium announcing its closure on Friday evening.

By Ethan Simmons, News Editor

On Wednesday, March 25, the United States surpassed China as the world leader in confirmed COVID-19 cases. Here’s a rundown of nationwide, statewide and localized numbers for readers of The Daily Illini, along with virus-related closures, cancellations and postponements. Numbers in parentheses mark increases from the previous day.

Confirmed cases of coronavirus (updated April 6, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.)

World: 1,337,167 cases; 74,176 deaths; 277,757 recovered

United States: 362,573 cases; 10,720 deaths; 19,313 recovered

Illinois: 12,262 cases (+1,006), 307 deaths (+33), 62,942 recovered

Chicago: 5,067 cases, 108 deaths

Champaign County: 63 cases, one death, 22 recovered

Cancellations

• All in-person instruction for the duration of spring semester and through the summer. Classes have moved online.
  • The original May 16 date of the 2020 Illinois Commencement ceremony. The University is “exploring possible alternatives such as rescheduling and/or hosting virtual events,” according to a Massmail sent by University President Tim Killeen.

Local

Closures

• Parkland Community College’s Commencement has been suspended indefinitely. The college has moved to remote learning.
  • Champaign Public Library and Douglass Branch Library until further notice. Due dates have been extended to the first week of May.
  • Urbana Free Library until further notice. Due dates have been extended.
  • Krannert Center for the Performing Arts until further notice.
  • A spreadsheet of local restaurant closures and openings is being maintained by C-U residents.

Cancellations

• The 2020 Roger Ebert’s Film Festival has been rescheduled for April 14-17, 2021.
  • Pygmalion performances on April 3, 4 and 17 have been canceled or postponed.

State

Closures

• All nonessential businesses through April 30.
  • All pre-K and K-12 schools through April 30.
  • All dining areas in bars and restaurants through April 30. Drive-through, delivery and curbside pickup options are still available for some businesses.
  • All driver service facilities through April 30. Expiration dates for licenses, IDs, vehicle registrations and other documents have been extended until 30 days after the state order ends.
  • The Chicago lakefront and adjoining parks, along with Chicago fieldhouses, playlots, school playgrounds, the Chicago Riverwalk and the 606 Trail until further notice.

Postponements

• The state income tax filing date has been extended to July 15.
  • Student loan monthly payments have been suspended for six months.

National

Postponements

• National social distancing guidelines have been extended until April 30 by President Trump.

Editor’s note: This is an ongoing story. The Daily Illini will provide daily updates to its contents for the foreseeable future.