KAM’s and Legends lead campus bar reopenings

Ben Tschetter

A sea of green fills the line at KAM’s during Unofficial on March 6, 2020.

By Heather Robinson

On Friday, bars and restaurants in Champaign will be able to reopen for outdoor seating. This announcement comes with the implementation of phase 3 in Illinois’ state reopening plan. 

Restaurants and bars that are able to accommodate for outdoor seating coordinated with the City of Champaign to allow the reopening. On the City’s website, plans were posted detailing the procedures taken to reopen businesses safely. 

Bars popular in the campus community such as KAM’s and Legends took to social media to announce their return. 

The Instagram account for KAM’s made multiple posts the past couple of days announcing the reopening and what it will entail. Those who plan on entering KAM’s must be wearing a mask and abide by social distancing guidelines. 

Masks will not be required to be worn while at the tables and picnic tables, but must be worn while getting drinks and in walkways. Anyone who is showing any signs of illness is urged not to attend. Additionally, there will be limited space available.

KAM’s will be opening the rooftop seating at 5 p.m., and the second floor terrace will be open at 9 p.m.

Legends Bar and Grill deck area reopened Friday at 11 a.m. and will be open until 10 p.m. For maintaining safety, Legends will be limiting seating of six people per table. Tables will be arranged in a way that maintains the six-feet-apart social distance rule. Masks will be required as well when customers leave the table. 

The City will continue to reopen businesses as more innovative solutions are found in accordance with the state’s guidelines.