University plans to resume on-campus activities, hybrid classes for fall semester

Professor Mitch Fisher lectures to his ACCY 201 class at Lincoln Hall Theater on Thursday, Aug. 29, 2019.

By Aliza Majid, Staff Writer

The University announced their official plans on how the upcoming semester will function during the COVID-19 crisis. The decision was to resume on-campus activities in the fall with a hybrid mixture of online and in-person classes.

Classes that remain on campus will be taking extra precautions such as adjusting schedules in order to ensure safer traffic flow, providing all students masks and requiring them in classes, and daily disinfection of classrooms.

All campus members will be given reusable and washable masks that must be worn in public areas and hand sanitizer will be readily available throughout the campus.

Accommodations will be made for campus members who are in vulnerable and at risk groups as well as students who can’t come to campus due to certain circumstances and travel restrictions. 

In order to apply safety precautions in residence halls there will be a limit of two students per room, no outside visitors in halls and quarantine areas for students who test positive for COVID-19.

Dining halls will provide carryout meals and restricted in-person dining, common areas will be cleaned and disinfected regularly, and use of these areas will be limited in order to ensure social distancing rules are being enforced.

Recreation centers will be limited and outside visitors to campus will have to abide by social distancing rules and regulations.

Research activities in classrooms will require masks and other safety precautions but will continue to support treatments, vaccines and other COVID-19 related issues.

There will be flexible remote working guidelines for faculty and staff who cannot return to campus for family- and health-related concerns. Faculty will be trained over the summer in order to be able to provide high-quality instruction online once the semester begins.

The University will be using their COVID-19 testing on all campus community members and provide same-day results through the app software that researchers created. COVID-19 training will be required for all students and faculty to ensure that everyone is aware of the new safety precautions.