University urges against Greek Reunion attendance

Ben Tschetter

Students wait in line outside of Kams during Unofficial on March 6, 2020.

By Heather Robinson

The University is asking students not to attend this weekend’s “Greek Reunion.” The annual tradition is a mid-summer reunion for the Greek community that draws thousands of students to come together on campus. 

The event, which is not sanctioned by the University and not affiliated with Fraternity and Sorority Affairs is planned for July 10-12. 

The Vice Chancellor for Student Affairs sent an email to students involved with Greek life addressing health related concerns anticipated with the event.

In the email, students currently living outside of the C-U area were urged not to come to campus this weekend. In addition, those living in the community were advised not to attend any gatherings related to the event.

According to the University’s message, local public health and city government officials are communicating with local businesses in order to ensure operations will abide by the Phase 4 Restore Illinois regulations. 

The University cautioned that students involved in events violating the current conditions allowed in Phase 4 may be subject to University disciplinary action as well as legal consequence.

Emergency orders will be in effect over the weekend such as the recent City of Champaign issue requiring all liquor establishments in Campustown to only allow individuals over the age of 21 on the premises after 9 p.m.

In addition, during the event there will be an increased police presence around campus to enforce rules both in public and private locations. 

“We know that the eyes of the campus and the local community will be focused on the actions of our students. You have the opportunity to model the way we conduct and host events to ensure that we are not viewed as the problem or cause of any potential outbreak.”