Gunfire reported in Campustown on Saturday

Lieutenant Joseph McCullough investigates a traffic violation on Friday, Sep. 23 2016. A 17-year-old male was killed after a shooting in Champaign on Thursday night.

By Vivian La and Willie Cui

Post updated on Aug. 22 at 6:00 p.m.

Gunfire was reported at 2nd Street and Green Street around 11:58 p.m. on Saturday, leaving one individual in critical condition. No arrests have been made and the investigation remains ongoing.

Champaign police officers located a 20-year-old male with a gunshot wound, according to a press release from the City of Champaign. According to the press release, he arrived at a local hospital in critical condition.

“Multiple cars were additionally damaged by gunfire, and police recovered more than 50 casings from the scene,” the press release stated.

Police are still investigating the incident and they said that anyone with additional information should call 217-351-4545.

Original post from Aug. 22 at 1:25 a.m.

Gunfire was reported at 2nd Street and Green Street around 11:58 p.m. on Saturday, according to an Illini Alert.

A “hazard” was first reported near Second Street and Green Street at around 11:35 p.m. on Saturday, and students were advised to avoid the area, according to an Illini Alert.

A heavy police presence was in the area while it was being investigated. The emergency was declared over around 12:30 a.m. on Sunday, when a final Illini Alert was sent stating that the suspected shooter was believed to have left the area and no longer posed a threat to the campus.

Police are still investigating the incident and there are no known suspects at this time.

Editor’s note: This is an ongoing report. Please stay with The Daily Illini for more updates throughout the day.