UI welcomes class of 2025 into Illini family

Cameron Krasucki

A welcome celebration is held in Lot 31 after new student convocation at State Farm Center at the MTD Booth. Illinois welcomes new students with open arms.

By Willie Cui, Assistant Daytime News Editor

Under the harmony of “This Little Light of Mine,” performed by the University’s Black Chorus, new students from the class of 2025 filtered into the State Farm Center last Friday for the New Student Convocation. 

As 10 a.m. neared, the lights dimmed and an introduction video began to play while a procession of University officials in academic regalia, with Chancellor Robert Jones at the head, made their way towards the center stage.

“Let me begin by welcoming you to Illinois and by welcoming you to our orange and blue family,” Jones said before turning the floor over to the Black Chorus and its conductor Dr. Ollie Watts Davis who performed the state anthem. 

As the convocation progressed, the new students heard from various campus stakeholders including Enoma Egiebor, president of the Illinois Student Government; Andreas C. Cangellaris, vice chancellor for academic affairs and provost; and Cynthia Oliver, associate vice chancellor for research. 

Highlighting the trepidation that comes when starting college, Egiebor spoke to the new students about the college experience and what it means to be a student at Illinois. 

“As a new generation of students enter this great university, we all have our own ideas of what our college experience will be,” Egiebor said. “I know that entering college can be scary and life altering, but embrace the moments you have with your friends and peers.”

Egiebor stated that being a student at the University is “not for the faint of heart.” 

“But since you all have braved through a global pandemic, I know you all have what it takes,” she said.

Introduced by Jones as “someone (whose) name you’ll become greatly familiar with,” Cangellaris spoke to the new students about his role as the University’s provost.

“I’m being completely honest with you when I say that students before you have tried to guess what a provost is,” Cangellaris said. “And several of them guessed that it’s some type of cheese.” 

Cangellaris noted that his “funny title” means he is responsible for the educational and academic mission of the campus and preparing the University’s budget for the chancellor. 

“It’s easy to describe, but I can assure you that it’s much harder to deliver,” Cangellaris said. “But we are able to do that and that’s why you’re here. We have promised you a transformative experience at Illinois and I want you to know that we will deliver.”

Turning toward the faculty members seated behind him on stage, he declared they are among the individuals who will ensure the University follows through with its promise. 

“This is just a fraction of our faculty and they are your professors,” Cangellaris said. “Among them are Nobel and Pulitzer Prize winners, Grammy nominees, members of national academies and winners of top prizes and awards in nearly every field of study.”

Cangellaris emphasized that one of the “incredible” opportunities students have at the University is getting to know the University’s faculty. 

“Your faculty will be a significant part of your time here — in your classrooms, in the library, in the same coffee shops you will visit,” he said. “Even riding the same buses that will take you to class.”

Speaking on behalf of the faculty, Oliver walked the students through her personal story of becoming a professional dancer and choreographer in New York and a professor at the University.

“I was raised in Saint Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands,” Oliver said. “For me, an idyllic place — rich culture, year-round sunshine, beautiful beaches, so yes, swimming. But also dancing, lots and lots of dancing.” 

As she reminisced about her journey, she underscored the importance of seeking out new experiences, even if it is difficult to step into the unknown.

“Many of you might find these first few weeks on campus a formidable challenge,” Oliver said. “There will likely be no screens between you and your many experiences. Your encounters will be live and in living color.”

Arnav Jaggi and Jason Vu, freshmen in Engineering and LAS who attended the convocation, enjoyed Oliver’s personal story.

“I think it was really dope to see all those people in the admin positions,” Jaggi said. “Especially Cynthia and how she’s doing dance and research and everything. It really gives you inspiration, you know?”

This view was echoed by Vu, who found Oliver’s journey and struggles to be motivating. 

Jaggi said he is the first in his family to experience college as an undergraduate — his parents got their master’s degree but “they never really had the undergrad experience.” 

Commenting on his experience so far, Vu said it “feels really good” to be an Illini and that “everyone here has been incredibly nice.”