Pritzker announces state-wide vaccination mandate

By Aliza Majid, Assistant News Editor

Governor Pritzker announced a new COVID-19 protocol Thursday that will require all state employees and university students to be vaccinated and enforce a mask policy in all public buildings regardless of vaccination status.

After Pritzker’s announcement, the University released a Massmail that reiterated the fact that all University members must be vaccinated and wear masks going forward.

“Gov. J.B. Pritzker announced a mandate that all state employees and university students must be vaccinated against COVID-19. With the recent FDA approval of the Pfizer vaccine, we have even more evidence that vaccines are safe and effective,” Chancellor Robert Jones said in the Massmail.

All University members must receive their first dose of the COVID-19 vaccine by Sept. 5 to continue their semester on campus. 

Individuals who aren’t already vaccinated should continue testing until they’re fully vaccinated and receive a verified Vaccination Record Card in the MyMcKinley Portal.

Anyone unable to receive the vaccine for any medical or religious reasons must request an exemption and will have to continue testing for COVID-19 throughout the semester.

Pritzker also initiated a statewide mask mandate in all public buildings, which has already been active on campus as University members will continue wearing masks indoors.

People who do not comply with the new University vaccine and mask requirements will face disciplinary action.

In order to find nearby vaccinations appointments visit the vaccines.gov website for more information or make an appointment to be vaccinated at CRCE through the MyMcKinley Portal if you are a student.