Champaign teachers’ union ratifies agreement with Unit 4

Cameron Krasucki

The Champaign Federation of Teachers has ratified the tentative agreement that was made with the Champaign Unit 4 School District.

By Willie Cui, News Editor

The Champaign Federation of Teachers voted to ratify the tentative agreement it reached last week with the Champaign Unit 4 School District last night following a dispute between the union and the district’s school board over a proposed lengthening of the school day for elementary students.

The dispute culminated with the union filing a 10-day strike notice on March 25 after the Champaign Federation of Teachers and the school board failed to reach an agreement on the issue.

“It was a long road to get here, but I’m glad to see that a majority of our members voted in favor of this agreement,” said Mike Stitch, co-president of the Champaign Federation of Teachers, in a press release.

The possibility of a strike ended in the early hours of March 30 when the union and the school district reached the tentative agreement, which the Champaign Federation of Teachers has now ratified.

The Champaign Unit 4 School Board will vote on the tentative agreement on Monday, and the union declined to release further details about the agreement until then “out of respect for this process.”

“We look forward to working with the Unit 4 board and administration further to best meet the needs of our students,” Stitch said.