Illini Union asbestos cleaning causes fire alarm, evacuation

People+evacuate+the+Illini+Union+as+the+alarms+sound+off+on+Friday.++

Sidney Malone

People evacuate the Illini Union as the alarms sound off on Friday.

By Lisa Chasanov and Aidan Sadovi

On Friday morning, University staff, students and families visiting campus for Orange and Blue Day were evacuated from the Illini Union after a fire alarm sounded in the building.

The alarm sounded as a result of dust buildup in smoke detectors that was disturbed during an asbestos cleaning, said David Guth, assistant director for Facilities at the Union.

An assessment by Facilities and Services directly after the evacuation determined that there was no flame. 

“We think that the alarm system worked as it should, but the dust build up caused the alarm to sound,” Guth said. “Prior to this, the building’s smoke detectors were all covered with plastic, and apparently dust gathered in them over time.”

Bella Cruz, a junior in Engineering and LAS, was evacuated from the Union while studying in the Courtyard Cafe. 

Cruz said that her peers assumed the evacuation was a drill.

“It was actually really funny because I think people didn’t know if it was real or not,” Cruz said. “We were all just kind of taking our time and putting our stuff away. The workers were like, ‘OK, go now!’”

Karina Sanchez, a Just BEE Açaí employee, assumed that a restaurant in the Union had burned something.

“We didn’t think much of it, but then the manager told us we needed to leave immediately,” Sanchez said. 

Guth emphasized that regardless of the cause of alarms like these, it’s important to follow administrators’ instructions.

“We need to take it seriously any time there is an emergency situation, and regardless of the cause, we will follow the official protocols,” Guth said. “If there is an active fire alarm and nobody tells you that we’re in the clear, don’t try to go back into the building.”