Urbana schools cancel classes due to threats of shooting

Urbana+High+School+canceled+classes+due+to+a+possible+shooting+and+bomb+threat+on+Monday.+

Sydney Laput

Urbana High School canceled classes due to a possible shooting and bomb threat on Monday.

By Faith Allendorf, Managing Editor for Reporting

This is an ongoing story. Check back later for more updates.

Monday morning, Urbana High School, as well as the middle school, canceled classes due to a possible shooting and bomb threat at the high school.

A mass text and email from superintendent Jennifer Ivory-Tatum were sent out to parents and students at 7:40 a.m., telling them that UHS had “received a message regarding a possible shooting.” The message also said that the high school was on lockdown, and the emergency was “not a drill.”

According to the email, buses were promptly rerouted to a reunification site at Lincoln Square Mall in Urbana. Students who were not riding buses were told not to come to the school.

Ivory-Tatum said in a second email sent at 8:53 a.m. that in the morning before school started, UHS received “multiple phone calls detailing a possible school shooting and bomb threats.” The school was promptly put on lockdown.

While there was no direct threat to Urbana Middle School, UMS also canceled Monday classes to ensure the safety of students and staff.

A final email was sent at 9:37 a.m. that said that all UHM students and staff are safe and off of campus. Both UHM and UMS will remain closed while police investigate.

“Thank you to everyone at both schools for their quick response, handling of this morning’s incident and for in-district crisis responders and police response,” the email said.

Multiple officers and K-9 remain dispatched at the high school.