Stabbing reported at Fourth, Green streets

Lieutenant Joseph McCullough investigates a traffic violation on Friday, Sep. 23 2016.

By Aidan Sadovi, Staff Writer

A stabbing occurred early Thursday morning on Fourth and Green streets involving a University student. The student was taken to the hospital after receiving a “non life-threatening wound,” according to UI Police.

An Illini-lert was released at 3 a.m. on Thursday morning urging recipients to avoid the area before another was released at 3:30 a.m. saying it was safe to resume activity. 

UI police said the initial investigation suggests the stabbing resulted from an altercation at 2 a.m. on Thursday between the student and another man that occurred on the 400 block of East Green Street, Champaign. 

According to UI police, the student “approached the man, and the two exchanged words before the student swung a fist at the man. The man dodged the punch and responded by striking the student once with a sharp object. The man then ran south from the intersection of Fourth and Green streets.” 

UI police said police were looking for the man but “determined he had already left the campus area.” 

A security camera caught a photo of the man and police are asking for help in identifying the individual.