A check from KAMS in a sea of orange

Orange Krush receives financial support from bar on Saturday

Daniel Zhou

Orange Krush receives a check from local bar KAMS on Saturday during game day after the tickets for a trip to Iowa were cancelled.

By Lika Lezhava, News Editor

Following several statements released by the University’s official student fanbase, Orange Krush in recent days, campus bar KAMS welcomed the club with open arms this morning. 

Orange Krush was supposed to attend the Illinois versus Iowa basketball game at the University of Iowa on Saturday, but after much back and forth and misinterpretation of ticket purchases, the Orange Krush was left at home and taken in by KAMS. 

On Saturday, students wearing Illini gear and “KAMS Krush” T-shirts gathered together at KAMS to support each other.

“We’re just excited to be able to host Orange Krush,” said Micheal Baker, the general manager of KAMS. “It’s sad that (the Orange Krush) won’t be able to go to the game, but we’re excited to be able to provide them with another opportunity and be able to host them for what is a big game for Illinois.”

As for the lost funds, KAMS presented the Orange Krush with a $6,000 check from KAMS, as well as a $3,000 donation from Twisted Tea and Truly. 

“We were excited to offer them the $6000 back, donated to the Orange Krush foundation, and be able to cover those sunken costs that they were going to be out of,” Baker said.

In a second statement released on Friday, Orange Krush said they had “misrepresented (themselves) as another active charitable organization,” initially saying they were the Boys and Girls Club when purchasing the tickets. In the statement, Orange Krush apologized for the action, and said the club “should have never placed blame on the Iowa ticket office.” 

On Saturday, Kilton Rauman, senior in AHS and vice president of Illini Pride, acknowledged the situation.

“We’ll acknowledge that we definitely did say ‘a boys and girls club’ which is a misstep for sure,” Rauman said. “There was no malicious intent, so it’s unfortunate how it got taken, and I’m glad that we still have a good relationship with our boys and girls club here, and were able to keep that partnership going.”

Despite the mishap, KAMS did not retract its support of Orange Krush. 

“I think on their end, they put out their initial statement, Iowa put one back, and they put one out to clarify their position and how they felt, and so we stand with them 100%,” Baker said.

With an electric atmosphere in the bar, Orange Krush was grateful for the overall support. 

“I think it shows the family atmosphere that we have in Champaign here, whether it’s an establishment here on campus or a student section — everyone is pretty bound together,” Rauman said. 

The nail biting game concluded with a score of 81-79, Iowa winning the game.