UPDATED: Charges dropped for UI student accused of voyeurism

James Hoeck

Residents enter Florida Avenue Residence on Nov. 8. Recently, students have expressed concern with an incident involving a Peeping Tom.

By Piotr Fedczuk, Staff Writer

A male University student was issued a court notice by police last Wednesday for entering women’s shower areas in the Florida Avenue Residence Hall.

Officials ordered Pranav Chittharanjan, freshman in Business, to appear in court for disorderly conduct, police reports said. He was reported to have entered several women’s shower areas between 3 and 5:30 a.m. on Sunday, Feb. 5, at Oglesby Hall, a part of FAR.

Reports said Chittharanjan viewed at least one woman showering before being confronted by resident advisers.

“I thought it was terrible, and I wouldn’t expect that here,” said Ben Grzelak, freshman in DGS. “But, I mean, I don’t know any other measures that are in place other than RAs that occasionally check.”

Grzelak said that the University should have more ways to prevent incidents like this.

“It feels like there should have been a little bit more accountability there,” Grzelak said.

As of Friday, Chittharanjan has been dismissed from his fraternity, Beta Alpha Psi, where he was the director of web development.

“(Chittharanjan) is no longer associated with our organization,” Kyle Yu, president of Beta Alpha Psi, said in an email.

Update: April 3.

Pat Wade, UIPD spokesperson, said the police do not make charging decisions. 

The case no longer appears on the City Clerk case website. The charges were dropped.

The Champaign County City Clerk’s office was not responsive.