City of Urbana plans infrastructure updates in $102.9M Capital Improvement Plan

By Lisa Chasanov, Summer Editor

The Urbana Public Works Department has proposed a new draft for the city’s $102.9 million Capital Improvement Plan. 

The CIP, which will be implemented for five fiscal years from 2024 to 2028, seeks to address the infrastructural needs of the city. The draft includes proposed updates to public facilities, sewers, traffic lights, bicycle/pedestrian infrastructure and storm provisions. 

Among other projects, the draft seeks to spend $8.9 million on the renovation of Lincoln Avenue between its intersections with Florida Avenue and Green Street, bevel sidewalks throughout campus and the city of Urbana, constructing two new fire stations and establishing “small, human-scaled projects in underinvested neighborhoods” as part of the city’s Equity and Quality of Life Project.

The city has built an interactive map of the projects proposed in the draft through GIS that can be accessed by the public.

Residents of Urbana and stakeholders are encouraged to submit feedback relating to the draft to City Engineer John Zeman by June 19.