Proposed cultural competency training bill passes IL House and Senate

By Lisa Chasanov, Summer Editor

A bill seeking to amend the Registered Surgical Assistant and Registered Surgical Technologist Title Protection Act passed both Illinois houses on Thursday. 

The amendment seeks to require that healthcare professionals undergo cultural competency training as part of their licensure and recertification requirements starting in 2025. If passed, it would also amend training requirements for those working with those suffering from Alzheimer’s disease or opioid addiction.

The act, HB 2450, received bipartisan support from several sponsors in the Illinois House, including democratic State Rep. Carol Ammons — who represents parts of Champaign.

According to a statement by Equality Illinois — an LGBTQ+ advocacy organization— regarding the passage of this amendment, this step by Illinois lawmakers will “support healthcare providers, such as physicians, nurses, and dentists, with the tools and information they need to effectively and affirmingly serve communities of color, people with disabilities, people of diverse faiths, undocumented individuals, LGBTQ+ people, people living with HIV, intersex people, and other communities that have been marginalized in the healthcare system.”

The organization has come out in support of the amendment along with several other advocacy groups as part of the Illinois Healthcare Cultural Competency Coalition. Member groups include AIDS Foundation Chicago, Planned Parenthood Illinois Action and the Illinois Nurses Association.