University plans for fall 2021, includes more in-person events

Cameron Krasucki

Professor Peter Abbamonte adjusts his video camera for students who choose to attend class online on Nov. 2. The University is planning on introducing more in-person classes for the fall of 2021.

By Payal Rathore, Staff Writer

While the official plans for the upcoming fall semester are yet to be released, the administration is currently focusing on providing vaccines for students and the future possibility of having more in-person classes and University events.

“Although we are planning for a more near-normal campus experience next fall, we are waiting for the final plan from the university before releasing fall housing details publicly,” Chelsea Hamilton, senior assistant director for Communications & Marketing, said.

Hamilton stated that University Housing will continue to follow the guidelines presented by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, state and local health officials to maintain the health and safety of all those on campus.

“Our current priority is serving those who live in our residence halls and apartments this spring,” Hamilton said.

Rooms are also recommended to have around a 50% capacity for classes in accordance with social distancing rules and regulations. This measure is being undertaken due to the increase of in-person classes.

“I am certain that the number of in-person classes will approach the normal number,” Rebecca Lee Smith, associate professor in AHS, said.

Smith also added that while she hopes that there will be less testing, there are many unknowns between now and the upcoming fall semester to predict the testing frequency.

“As far as testing frequency is concerned, that would depend entirely on the rate at which it spreads. We will continue testing till the pandemic ends and it is clear that there is no risk,” said Robin Kaler, Associate Chancellor for Public Affairs. 

Emails regarding the availability of vaccines at different locations are also being sent regularly so that students are able to have access to the vaccine. 

“While the vaccines are not mandated, we are ensuring that they are being offered to students,” Kaler said.

“It is heartening to see students cooperate as the rates stay low,” Kaler said, adding that there would hopefully be more in-person events for students to look forward to if the progress continues. 

Implementing proper precautions for COVID-19 are essential to lower the current rates and make way for a safer and interactive fall semester.