Latina, Black women’s mental health declined during pandemic, new study finds

By Anneliese Cornejo-Garcia, Staff Writer

A new study from the College of Applied Health Sciences examined the socioeconomic and racial disparities associated with a decline in the mental health of Latina and Black women during the beginning of the pandemic. 

Sandraluz Lara-Cinisomo, professor in AHS, with graduate students Mary Ellen Mendy and Biniyam Melesse, studied the prevalence of depression and anxiety amongst Latinas and Black women during May and June 2020. 

According to the World Health Organization, anxiety and depression increased by 25% at a global level during the first year of the COVID-19 pandemic. 

The team utilized an online questionnaire that assessed over 1,000 Black and Latina participants. 

According to the study, Latina participants reported experiencing symptoms of depression and anxiety at a higher frequency than Black women. 

In general, 28% of all participants reported anxiety while 10% more experienced symptoms commonly associated with depression, the team said. 

The study reported a possible correlation between prayer and depressive symptoms. 

Citing similar effects, a study published by the National Library of Medicine tracked the mental health of participants with depression and anxiety for one year after undergoing regular prayer sessions. 

The study reported a positive impact on participants’ mental health for about one year after prayer intervention. 

Published in the Journal of Racial and Ethnic Health Disparities, Lara-Cinisomo’s study reported similar findings as Black women who used prayer to cope with mental health issues reported lower levels of depressive symptoms.

Contrastingly, Latina women who prayed regularly disclosed that they experienced more frequent episodes of depression. 

Giana Dounis, junior in LAS, said the pandemic caused a similar negative impact on her mental health. 

“If I, as a white woman, experienced depressive episodes, I’m sure Latinas and other women of color, who have it harder, experienced them as well,” Dounis said.

Researchers also said levels of depression and anxiety during the pandemic varied by age.

When observing participants ages 18 to 85, the study reported higher instances of anxiety and depression amongst younger participants. 

The team said that some participants cited life changes such as losing their job and working less as contributors to an increase in anxiety and depressive symptoms. 

“As the pandemic continues, mental health resources should be allocated to help AA and Latina women who experienced or anticipate reductions in paid hours and those concerned about its effects,” the report said. 

The report also noted the ability for further research on the impact of prayer on Latinas’ mental health during the beginning of the pandemic.