Jennifer Dillavou, president of UIAA, dies at 64

By Lisa Chasanov, Staff Writer

Jennifer Dillavou, president of the University of Illinois Alumni Association, died in her home on April 29 following a “tenacious fight against cancer,” according to a Massmail sent out on Monday. Dillavou was surrounded by her family at the time of her passing.

Dillavou is survived by her husband Tom Dillavou, two children and two stepchildren.

Dillavou was born in Peru, Illinois, but moved to the Champaign-Urbana area at the age of 6, graduating from Unit 4 schools and continuing her education at the University. She graduated from the College of Education in 1982, where she was awarded the title of outstanding alum in 2018. She was also designated an outstanding alum by the Champaign-Urbana Schools Foundation in 2019.

Dillavou worked in higher education and alumni relations at various universities across the country. 

Before her appointment as the president of the UIAA and associate vice chancellor for alumni relations at the University in 2017, Dillavou worked in similar capacities at the University of Illinois Foundation, Indiana University in Bloomington, Georgia State University, Carnegie Mellon University, University of Pittsburgh and Ohio University.

Dillavou’s appointment to the role of president of the UIAA in 2017 was the first time a woman has held this position at the University and the second time a woman has held a similar position in the Big Ten conference.

There will be a celebration of life ceremony on Thursday at Krannert Center in Urbana with a reception afterwards at the Alice Campbell Alumni Center. St. Matthew’s Catholic Church will hold a Mass of Christian Burial at 11:30 a.m. on Friday with the Rev. Dennis Lewis presiding, according to the Peru Tribune.