CUPHD hosts more COVID-19 booster clinics, allows ‘mix and match dosing’ for shots

Ryan Ash

A clinic worker fills a needle with a dose of the Moderna COVID-19 at the I-Hotel & Conference Center on Feb. 11. CUPHD has recently began offering COVID booster clinics.

By Willie Cui, Assistant Daytime Editor

The Champaign-Urbana Public Health District announced that it will be hosting additional COVID-19 booster shot clinics and provided new guidelines on who is eligible to receive a booster shot.

In particular, CUPHD emphasized that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention now allows individuals to “mix and match” what COVID-19 vaccine they receive as their booster shot. 

“Some people may have a preference for the vaccine type that they originally received and others may prefer to get a different booster,” CUPHD said in a press release. “CDC’s recommendations now allow for this type of mix and match dosing for booster shots.”

According to the new guidelines, individuals who were initially vaccinated with either the Pfizer or Moderna vaccine are eligible for a booster shot if it has been at least six months since their second dose and are at least 65 years old, or are at least 18 and have an underlying medical condition or live or work in a high-risk environment. 

Individuals who initially received the Johnson & Johnson vaccine are eligible for a booster shot if it has been at least two months since their last dose and are 18 years old or older. 

CUPHD is hosting a “walk-in” vaccination clinic at the I Hotel and Conference Center located at 1900 S. First St., Champaign on Tuesday and Wednesday, Nov. 2-4 and Nov. 10-11 from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., which “are available to all eligible individuals.”

Booster shots will also be available at Kohl’s Plaza located at 1901 N. Market St., Champaign by appointment only. Scheduling for which “will be available soon,” according to the press release.

Local pharmacies offering booster shots can be found through www.vaccinefinder.org.