Antisemitic flyers spark response of local community

The+Organic+Oneness+Organization+chalks+the+sidewalk+with+supportive+messages+on+the+quad+on+Monday.+The+C-U+community+comes+together+in+response+to+hate+crime.+

Royal Shrestha

The Organic Oneness Organization chalks the sidewalk with supportive messages on the quad on Monday. The C-U community comes together in response to hate crime.

By Royal Shrestha, Staff Writer

On Sunday, antisemitic flyers were found across the Main Quad and other University locations with conspiracies that blamed the Jewish population for COVID-19. 

Flyers were found in weighted, zip-lock bags that tried to associate many of the leaders in combating COVID-19 with Jewish identity. 

The University sent out a Massmail Sunday evening addressing the issue and calling it a “cowardly and craven way to spew hate and division in our community.”

Organizations like the Organic Oneness and Illini Chabad were also quick to address the issue. 

“We don’t really stand for hate of any kind, Asian hate, prejudice, racism, especially antisemitism,” said Selene González-Carrillo, one of the co-directors of Organic Oneness. “There’s no room for that here. We’re sending a message. You do that — we’re gonna come back harder with love.”

Organic Oneness had organized a small event at the Main Quad on Monday with music, chalk-painting and snacks as a way to spread positivity and show solidarity to the Jewish population.