Letter from the Editor: Welcome to campus

The+Daily+Illini+2022-2023+editorial+staff+poses+for+a+group+photo+in+March.+

The Daily Illini 2022-2023 editorial staff poses for a group photo in March.

By Heather Robinson, Editor-in-Chief

I grew up in a relatively small town. Needless to say, the word “overwhelmed” was nothing short of an understatement for how I felt as a new student at the University of Illinois. After all, Champaign-Urbana is three times the size of Carbondale, Ill.!

Whether you’re from Southern Illinois, the suburbs of Chicago, across the country or across the world, beginning a new life at college is an intimidating experience.

For a campus as big as the University, anyone could use some help getting around. Here at The Daily Illini, our staff wants to do our part in helping incoming students adjust to campus life. This is why every year we publish a guide for new students written by our editors and dedicated staff writers who were in the same position as you not long ago.

After all, who better to take advice from about the best places on campus to take a nap other than the people who have tried it out for themselves?

Within these pages, you will find some unique, in-depth advice you may not have heard during your campus tours. Ultimately, we hope to give you a head start on your time as an Illini.

Without further ado, welcome to the DI’s declassified guide on navigating the ins and outs of Illini culture!