Bike at Illinois promotes benefits of cycling on campus

Volunteer+Jada+Allen+%28left%29%2C+junior+in+LAS%2C+hands+Nicholas+Costello%2C+freshman+in+Engineering%2C+a+bike+light+during+the+Light+the+Night+bike+event+on+Thursday.+

Jacob Slabosz

Volunteer Jada Allen (left), junior in LAS, hands Nicholas Costello, freshman in Engineering, a bike light during the Light the Night bike event on Thursday.

By Fiza Dahra, Contributing Writer

During the C-U Bike Month this September, Bike at Illinois hosted two events, Bike to Work Day on Sept. 13 and Light the Night on Sept. 15. 

Bike to Work Day is an annual educational event encouraging bicyclists to engage with one another on campus.

Sarthak Prasad, Bike at Illinois’ program manager, said Bike to Work Day encourages individuals to cycle more in their everyday lives.

During the event, Bike at Illinois provides cyclists information about road safety and the rules and regulations in Champaign County. 

“It was a great way for a new student to learn more about the bike infrastructure while exploring the campus and community,” Prasad said. 

According to Prasad, because transportation is a significant contributor to greenhouse gasses, Bike to Work Day helps the University achieve its commitment to the Illinois Climate Action Plan to be carbon-neutral by 2050. 

“Bicycling is one of the most sustainable forms of transportation, and the University’s goal is to promote active modes of transportation as much as we can,” Prasad said. “And we do promote active modes of transportation a lot. It’s part of our climate commitment also.” 

During Light the Night, Bike at Illinois handed out over 1,000 free bicycle lights at 16 welcoming stations across Champaign County, with eight of them on campus. 

“It was so exciting to get free new lights for my bicycle,” said Aarthi Shivkumar, junior in Information Sciences. “They look great.”

Throughout C-U Bike Month, Bike at Illinois is hosting several other events. For instance, every Friday at 5:30 p.m, Bike at Illinois hosts bike rides for individuals around campus. 

Students can sign up for this event and several other events on the Bike at Illinois website.