World News: Stay updated with recent events

A primitive review of the worldly events that happened in the past seven days.

Photo Courtesy of PIROSCHKA VAN DE WOUW/POOL/AFP via Getty Images/TNS

Dutch VVD’s incumbent Prime Minister Mark Rutte casts his vote in the 2021 Dutch general elections in the Hague on March 17, 2021. This week’s worldly events are looked at in-depth.

June 23 – 25

Ethiopian military bombed marketplace, 64 killed

Ethiopia’s military conducted an airstrike on a marketplace in the Tigray region, causing 64 deaths. According to an interview conducted by the Associated Press, most of the victims were mothers, children and elderly fathers. The operation targeted supporters of Tigray’s former leader who gathered in the market to celebrate Martyrs’ Day.

European Union prime ministers challenged Hungary over anti-homosexuality legislation 

Fourteen EU countries requested the EU Commission to penalize Hungary for recent legislation that bans the promotion of homosexuality for minors. Dutch prime minister Mark Rutte challenged Hungarian prime minister Victor Orban to leave the EU if the latter couldn’t uphold the values of the union.  

U. S. seized Iranian news websites 

Washington blocked access to several dozen websites that were linked to disinformation efforts by Iran, including Iran’s state-owned Press TV. The action came several days after Ebrahim Raisi, who the U.S. had accused of violating human rights, won Iran’s presidential election.

Unmarked graves uncovered in indigenous residential school in Canada 

The Cowessess First Nation, a Canadian indigenous nation, found 751 unmarked graves in The Marieval Indian Residential School in Saskatchewan, British Columbia. The site was one of more than 130 compulsory boarding schools run by religious authorities and funded by the Canadian government during the 19th and 20th centuries as an effort of assimilation. 

United Nation looks to renew humanitarian operation in Syria

An estimated 2.4 million Syrians depend entirely on cross-border aid to supply their daily needs, and the resolution that allows envoys to cross from Turkey to Syria through the Bab al-Hawa crossing will expire in early July. The crossing is the only one currently in use for supplying aids.

Apartment collapsed in Miami 

The apartment known as the Champlain Towers South in Surfside, Florida suddenly collapsed during the night. At the time of the article’s writing, there are 10 confirmed deaths and 151 missing persons. A 2018 report identified “abundant cracking and spalling of varying degrees … in the concrete columns, beams and walls” in its parking garage. 

June 26 – 29

Derek Chauvin sentenced 22.5 years for murder of George Floyd 

The murder of George Floyd, which caused a resurrection in attention to racial injustices worldwide last year, reached a milestone with Derek Chauvin, the officer who knelt on Floyd’s neck, receiving the sentence. Three other officers present during the murder will also face trials next year. 

Britain’s health secretary resigns after violating social distancing guidelines 

Britain’s health secretary Matt Hancock was caught on film while kissing an aide in his office, breaking the COVID-19 social distancing rules he urged Britons to follow. 

Poland Catholic Church investigates 300+ cases of priests pedophilia

The Polish Catholic Church has apologized to the public for its past negligence of the events of child sexual abuse. The church had received 368 reports of pedophilia between July 1, 2018 and Dec. 31 and had identified 144 among them as reliable and 38 as unreliable.

Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS to establish African task force 

In Rome, foreign ministers from more than 45 countries who are part of the Global Coalition to Defeat ISIS gathered and agreed to establish an African task force. This is a response to new branches of the Islamic State being active in Africa, terrorizing villages and committing massacres. 

Isreal began allowing gasoline to enter Gaza Strip

Isreal has begun allowing Qatar-funded gasoline to enter the Gaza Strip to fuel the region’s only power station for the first time since May’s fighting in the enclave. The 11-day combat was triggered when Palestinians began protesting in East Jerusalem over an anticipated decision on the eviction of six Palestinian families in Sheikh Jarrah of East Jerusalem. Recently, Israel has conditioned a full return to the previous status quo after the fight that cost the lives of 256 Palestinians and 12 Israelis.