LGBT students find ‘ally’

By Amanda Reavy

After J.J. Janulis came to the University, he witnessed the discrimination that his lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) friends experienced daily as a result of intolerance and misunderstanding.

This homophobia on campus motivated him to join the Ally Network. Now, as an LGBT ally and resident adviser for Weston Exploration, he encourages his residents to stop using words such as “gay” and “fag” in derogatory ways. Janulis, a fifth-year senior in LAS, said he also avoids planning activities such as date auctions for his residents that would exclude individuals of certain sexual orientations.

“The network helps people understand some of the problems the LGBT community faces and creates a tolerant environment,” Janulis said.

The Ally Network is a University organization sponsored by the Sexual Orientation and Diversity Allies (SODA) Committee of the Counseling Center and the Student Affairs Office for LGBT Concerns. It aims to provide a safe place for students who seek support, advice and resources about LGBT issues and concerns without fear of being judged, said Curt McKay, co-director of the Office for LGBT Concerns and the Ally Network.

From participating in the National Coming Out Day rally on Oct. 11 to simply lending an ear, allies work to make the University campus a welcoming place for students in the LGBT community, McKay said.

Allies are encouraged to place posters with a pink triangle imprinted with the word “ally” in their office or workspace to show LGBT students they care about their concerns.

“I can’t count the number of times that after seeing the sign on my door, (potential) students will ask what it’s like to be gay or lesbian here,” McKay said. “The poster gives them permission to ask questions about acceptance on campus.”

The pink triangle was used during the Holocaust to denote gay men. The gay civil rights movement has reclaimed this emblem as a symbol of unity and strength, and the Ally Network uses it to identify its members, said Pat Morey, director of the Office of Women’s Programs and co-director of the Ally Network.

The Ally Network began in the early 1990s to help faculty, staff and graduate students create a more accepting climate on campus, Morey said.

As the program grew, the directors decided to open the network to resident advisors and student leaders. Starting this year, the Ally Network is open to all undergraduates, McKay said.

There are 238 allies in the faculty and staff network, said Anita Hund, professional graduate assistant for SODA. The undergraduate network has 75 to 100 students, according to Marc Goldman, assistant director for academic programs in residential life housing. Goldman is in charge of training undergraduate allies.

Members of both networks meet the first Friday of every month from October to May. The meetings allow allies to discuss experiences or problems they need to address. Every meeting also features a guest speaker who highlights some aspect of LGBT rights such as gay marriage, Morey said.

All allies undergo a three-hour training session, said Goldman. Although undergraduate and staff Allies undergo separate training sessions, they cover the same topics, he said.

There are three major components to Ally Network training. The trainees first examine the myths and realities for LGBT students and then listen to a panel of LGBT students and staff who share their coming-out stories and answer questions. The trainees then discuss what it means to be an ally and how they can use their positions on campus to make a better, safer environment for LGBT students.

Allies are trained to assist students with a variety of issues from relationship problems with their partners to questions about domestic partner benefits to harassment and discrimination, Hund said. Although allies may not know how to deal with every issue, they will know where to direct the student for help, she said.

Allies can be of any sexual orientation and may be found in all academic departments and student services, from the University Police Department to McKinley Health Center, McKay said. They are encouraged to stretch themselves within their comfort level to visibly show their support for LGBT students and related issues.

“(The Ally Network) creates a sense of community among people who make efforts toward social justice,” said Ross Wantland, ally and coordinator of sexual assault education for the University.

Wantland said raising awareness can be difficult because Allies also experience a portion of the backlash against different sexual orientations.

“Sometimes when you come out as an ally, you are treated as a part of the target group, and people assume you must be gay,” Wantland said. “Allies do hear that, but not anywhere near to the same extent as LGBT individuals.”

However, he thinks a network of committed individuals opens the door to further education and acceptance for the University community.

Janulis said he feels the Ally Network is important on campus because there is such a diverse student population and LGBT students are not easily identified. For this reason, their needs are often ignored.

Hund said it is important for LGBT students to feel comfortable seeking help without fear of homophobia or heterosexism. Small things such as assuming someone has a partner of the opposite sex can shut down a student and make them feel uncomfortable, she said.

“We want (LGBT students) to know there are people who care about them,” McKay said. “Hopefully, someday, the climate might be such that we no longer need the network.”