Senior named Student Employee of the Year for initiative, creativity

Senior in AHS Benjamin Cober, who recently won the Student Employee of the Year award, talks with fellow employee Kevin Collins, a Freshman in LAS, about a brochure design at the Illinois Leadership Center in the Illini Union Thursday morning. Cober, when Beck Diefenbach

By Erika Strebel

Ben Cober, senior in AHS, had already conceded that he was not going to be the 2006-2007 Student Employee of the Year. Two days later, he was in for a surprise.

Cober was sitting in the Oglesby Lounge on April 11, listening as Assistant Director of Financial Aid La Vonne Novakofski described the winning nominee.

And then they announced that the winner was a recreation, sport and tourism major.

“I was extremely surprised,” he said of winning. “I tried not to jump up and down like I was on ‘The Price is Right’ with (Bob Barker).”

Cober said he was excited not only that he won the award, but also that he won some respect for his major.

“It felt really good because recreation, sport and tourism has a small reputation,” he said.

Tia Schoth, graduate assistant at the Illinois Leadership Center, nominated Cober for the award.

“I immediately recommended him because he has developed a lot in the year we have had together,” Schoth said.

She said that among his many good qualities, she admires his initiative.

“When he commits to something he succeeds, even if he has to work late,” Schoth said. “If he tells me he is going to do something, I trust that he is going to get it done.”

Cober has worked as a Graf Intern for the Illinois Leadership Center since August 2006, where Schoth is his supervisor.

He works 10 hours a week helping coordinate leadership-building programs called i-programs, helping campus RSOs incorporate leadership into their organization, and working on outreach projects.

Cober and Schoth worked together earlier this fall to organize an i-program called Insight, which is an overnight conference dedicated to helping students understand themselves.

At one point, Cober said that Schoth gave him a pep talk, telling him everything may not go too smoothly.

As far as Cober was concerned, problems were something to look forward to.

“It’s really fun when things go wrong,” he said. “I really enjoy that.”

Cober said that his knack for creative problem solving stems from participating in a creative problem solving program for high school and middle school students called “Odyssey of the Mind: Destination Imagination.”

During breaks and vacations, Cober works at camps, only visiting his parents during Thanksgiving break and for a couple weeks during winter break.

When Cober is not working, he keeps himself constantly occupied.

Cober said he tries to make the most of his time at such a diverse campus and encourages other students to do the same.

Cober not only devotes time to the Illini Sailing Club and the Outdoor Adventure Club, but he also enjoys going to campus events.

“Investigate every opportunity you possibly can because here at the University is the time in your life where the most doors will be swung wide open for you,” he said. “And you need to be brave enough to step through each one.”