Champaign man shot through door during attempted robbery

By Daily Illini Staff Report

A 20-year-old Champaign man was shot through a closed door during an attempted armed robbery Tuesday night.

Upon investigation, police discovered that another robbery had occurred in the same apartment complex, just moments earlier, in which another victim was approached and robbed at gunpoint but left unharmed.

At approximately 9:28 p.m., Champaign police responded to a call about a shooting at the 1500 block of Kiler Drive, according to a press release issued by the Champaign Police Department.

Upon arrival, officers were informed that the victim had attempted to help a friend who was being robbed by one of two male suspects outside of his door. The victim pulled the friend inside his apartment and was wounded when one of the assailants fired a shot through the closed door, according to the press release.

The suspects immediately fled the scene and the victim was taken to a local hospital for treatment of non life-threatening injuries.

The press release issued by the Champaign Police Department revealed that there are three persons of interest. Two of the suspects were described as black males in their early twenties, both medium build, and both approximately 5 feet 10 inches tall. The first suspect was said to weigh approximately 150 pounds while no weight was given for the second suspect. Both suspects were also said to have black hair and brown eyes.

A third suspect was also identified in the press release but no description was provided.