University Police investigate attempted sexual assault

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The University Police Deparment is investigating an attempted sexual assault that occurred on Friday, Dec. 14 at approximately 5:30 p.m.

According to a mass e-mail sent to the campus community from Chief of Police Jeff Christensen, a female student saw somebody hiding in the shadows on the southeast side of the Illini Union. After briefly being in the Union, the student was grabbed around the neck when she exited near the south side of Harker Hall.

The victim was then forcibly taken to the east side of Noyes Lab by the suspect, who she believed to have a gun, the e-mail said. The victim was able to call 911 before she was assaulted further. A witness also passed by the incident and yelled at the suspect, who then fled.

The suspected was described in the e-mail as a black man, approximately 5 feet 9 inches tall with a large build, wearing a baseball hat that possibly had a New York Yankees logo, a zippered white jacket with a black design and light blue baggy jeans.

Images of the suspect were captured by security cameras in the Union and are available at the Division of Public Safety’s Web site at http://www.dps.uiuc.edu/campusalert.htm.

Police ask that anyone with information about this crime contant University Police at (217) 333-1216. Fo anonymous tips, call Crimestoppers at (217) 333-TIPS or (217) 333-8477.

Christensen also said in the e-mail that those one campus during break are encouraged to continue practices “such as being aware of your surroundings and contacting 911 (or 9-911 from a campus phone) to report any suspicious behavior.

Check back with DailyIllini.com for updates on this story as they develop.