Champaign Ordinance Requires Mandatory Snow Removal

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Property owners of Champaign living within the University District and downtown area must remove snow, ice, sleet or freezing rain from the sidewalks adjacent to their property, according to a press release. The city reminds residents of this responsibility, which is required under a snow removal ordinance passed by the city council.

According to a press release, sidewalks should be cleared when accumulations are 2 inches or more. A path the width of the sidewalk or 48 inches, whichever is less, is required to be maintained. In order to give pedestrians access from block to block, properties located on corners are also responsible for clearing the accessible ramps, according to a press release.

City ordinance requires sidewalks to be cleared 48 hours after the Public Works Director’s declaration. According to a press release, the period for compliance begins 6 a.m., Monday, February 4, 2008. Sidewalks must be cleared by 6 a.m. Wednesday, February 6, 2008, or they will be cleared by the city at the owner’s expense.

Snow removal boundaries for the University district begin at the intersection of University at First, cast along University to Wright, south on Wright to Windsor, west on Windsor to Neil, north on Neil to Springfield, east on Springfield to First and ending north on First at University. The boundaries of the downtown business district is the area bounded by Columbia on the north, State on the west, Springfield on the south and Second on the east.

Pamela Nisivaco and Michael Logli contributed to this report.