UPDATE: Former UI, current Parkland student died Friday night

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Patrick Cassidy, a former University student and current Parkland College student, died Friday. The cause has not been confirmed, however, Williams-Kampp Funeral Home in Wheaton, Ill., confirmed his death Monday morning.

Cassidy was born Nov. 20, 1986 and attended the University until last fall, according to the University Web site.

“The best way to describe Pat was that he was always smiling,” said David Michael, senior in Business and president of Lambda Chi Alpha. “He was always having fun even when other people were down.”

The University’s chapter was unable to comment on details of Cassidy’s death.

Michael said he has known Cassidy for about two years, and that many of the fraternity’s older members also knew Cassidy. Cassidy had chosen not to be a member of the fraternity this year, he added.

“All the guys that do know him, everyone is extremely sad,” Michael said. “We’re all taken aback.”

A group of Lambda Chi Alpha members will attend Cassidy’s funeral together, and the fraternity will make a donation in his name to the Make-A-Wish Foundation, Michael said.

According to Cassidy’s Facebook profile, he was a 2005 graduate of Glenbard South High School in Glen Ellyn, Ill.

A wake and funeral service for Cassidy will be held at Williams-Kampp Funeral Home. His wake will take place Tuesday from 3 to 9 p.m. and his funeral will be Wednesday at 11 a.m.

Steve Contorno, Andrew Mason and Marie Wilson contributed to this report. Keep checking back with The Daily Illini as this story develops.