A night of stress, surprises for UI College Democrats

Shouts of disappointment echoed across Murphy’s Pub, in Champaign, as the election results were announced. The College Democrats, a Registered Student Organization, gathered at the Champaign bar and restaurant to watch the election results. The gubernatorial race was considered too close to call for much of the election coverage.

Casey Williams, tabling coordinator for the College Democrats and junior in LAS, said he thought Giannoulias’ loss was a hard-fought battle throughout the state.

“The Democrats tried to turn out voters, but apathy was the Achilles’ Heel for this senatorial election.”

There was tension with the group as the close results for the Senate race came in between Treasurer Alexi Giannoulias and U.S. Rep. Mark Kirk, with Kirk eventually winning the race.

Lauren Eiten, communication director for the College Democrats and junior in LAS, said throughout Kirk’s campaign there have been a lot of questions on his background.

“It will be interesting in the next years to see Kirk’s representation of Illinois as he is portraying it.”

David Pileski, creative director for the College Democrats and sophomore in FAA, said he expected a Bill Brady win for governor.

“I thought that the Democrats would lose the gubernatorial election and win the senatorial election, but I think it may be the other way around,” Pileski said.

Christine O’Donnell, the Delaware Republican and Tea Party-endorsed candidate for U.S. Senate, lost her race to Democrat Chris Coons, a victory that Williams said he was happy about, even though it didn’t affect the state of Illinois.

“The ideals of O’Donnell would be dangerous to the future of America, so I’m pleased with the results in Delaware,” he said.

Shana Harrison, political director for the College Democrats and sophomore in LAS, said O’Donnell represents a threat to women and has a lot of ideals that wouldn’t support women’s rights.

“She wants to regress woman’s rights instead of progress them,” she said.

Even with happiness about O’Donnell’s loss, Rand Paul, another Tea Party-backed candidate, won his Senate race in Kentucky, and the result surprised Shana Harrison.

“I feel like he represents older tradition, mind sets that the Tea Party embraces,” she said. “I’m surprised that people would ever support (him).”

Republicans took control of the U.S. House of Representatives, to which Harrison said she had thought the Democrats would keep the House, but lose the Senate.

“None of the Senate races seemed close, and I figured the Democrats would lose the U.S. Senate. But now I’m not seeing that so much,” Harrison said.

Jonathan Earnest, senior advisor to the College Democrats and senior in LAS, said Al Reynolds, Illinois State Senate candidate, “Shot himself in the foot with what he has said with his racial comments.”

“I would be surprised if Mike Frerichs doesn’t win by a 20-point margin,” Earnest said before the results were announced.