Armed robbery occurs at University Avenue business

At approximately 3:21 pm on Friday, an individual entered Advance America, located at 505 East University Ave., and pointed a handgun at an employee, according to a release from University Chief of Police Barbara O’Connor.

The offender took an undisclosed amount of money from the store and left southbound on foot into the campus district.

The offender, described as a black male, approximately 5 feet, 10 inches tall, was clean shaven with short hair and wearing a black cap, sunglasses with gold trim, a black shirt with an unknown graphic, unknown colored jeans and a back pack.

An Illini-Alert was sent out because the suspect was reportedly armed and fled toward campus, said University police Lieutenant Tony Brown.

The suspect has not been apprehended, but based on the initial investigation, it is believed the offender eventually ran west from the area, entered a vehicle and left the campus district.

Any person with information about the armed robbery should call the Champaign Police Department at 217-351-4545, or the University of Illinois Police Department at 217-333-1216.