Trustees considering 1.7 percent tuition hike

By Daily Illini Staff Report

For a second consecutive year, the University is proposing a 1.7 percent tuition increase for incoming freshmen the following fall, according to a press release from the University.

The proposal was reviewed by the Board of Trustees’ Audit, Budget, Finance and Facilities Committee on Monday afternoon and will presumably go before the full board at its meeting later this month.

If passed, the base tuition for incoming in-state Urbana students would increase $202 to $12,036 per year. Along with housing and fees, the incoming in-state Urbana student will pay more than $25,000 per year to attend the University.

Last year, the trustees approved a 1.7 percent increase, which was the lowest percentage increase in 18 years.

The University in recent years has tied tuition increases to cost-of-living indexes. Under state law, tuition for students is locked for four years.

The University stated in the press release that reductions in state funding could shift the burden to students in form of tuition increased. According to the University, annual direct state appropriation has decreased by nearly 23 percent since fiscal year 2002.

Trustees are also considering housing and fee increases across campuses.

Under the proposals, undergraduate room-and-board costs at the Urbana campus would rise 2 percent to $10,180. Fees, which exclude health insurance, would increase by 2.3 percent to $2,984. Housing and fees increased by 3 and 1 percent last year, respectively.

The committee also heard a report on a resolution regarding pension benefits that will be brought up the board Jan. 23, according to the press release. If approved, President Robert Easter will being reviewing possible supplemental pension programs and other options before making recommendations to the trustees before the pension funding changes take effect June 1.