Bathrooms, elevators will see upgrades in 73-year-old building

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Construction will continue in an effort to upgrade and modernize the 73-year-old north side of the Illini Union.

A recently completed project and two upcoming projects focus on upgrading multiple parts of the building, some of which were as old as the building, said David Guth, assistant director of facilities, in an email.

The second phase of the $10 million infrastructure upgrade was completed in November in the original 1941 building, Guth said. The second phase of the project upgraded the heating and cooling systems in the building.

The first phase of the project was completed in 2012 and upgraded the electrical systems in the north building, the life safety alarm throughout the entire Union and the heating and cooling systems in the north food court, Guth said.

Additional upgrades are planned for the elevators and restrooms.

The upgrade on the two unisex bathrooms on the first floor at the northeast side is scheduled to begin in mid-May and should be completed by August, Guth said.

Other enhancements include a $1.3 million elevator project, which will begin in July and last until November. The construction will be on the main service elevator, and restrictions will be put in place on the other two elevators so customers have priority, Guth said.