Black History Month kicks off at UI

As February begins, so do a number of events on campus honoring the beginning of Black History Month.

These events will cover a variety of topics through a number of mediums like forums, concerts and variety shows.  

“This month is very comprehensive. We’re doing health stuff, we’re doing fun stuff, we’re doing social, critical thinking stuff and I think that is the goal of this year’s Black History Month,” said Rory James, director of the Bruce D. Nesbitt African American Cultural Center. 

The month begins with the Black Health and Wellness Week, which, in collaboration with McKinley Health Center, will discuss a variety of health issues facing the African-American community, James said.

During the second week of February, African-American student unions, such as the Central Black Student Union will take charge and host a variety of events throughout the week.

This year’s events will range from educational to entertaining.

“Whether it discusses issues that are going on within the black community now or is just reflecting on the history of where we came from, whether that be on this campus or in general — it’s just multiple events that they have throughout that week,” said Victoria Pride, junior in ACES and a co-President of the Ma’at BSU. 

The week starts off on Feb. 9 with the fifth annual Gospel Explosion, where groups from both on and off campus come and perform.

Tiffany Sanders, senior in Business and Ma’at vice president, has been involved with Gospel Explosion since her freshman year and has seen it grow in her time on campus.

“Those rooms are packed. Just to see that the word got out about the event and we’ve been able to hold a really good reputation about the performance, shows we … have students who look forward to this event,” Sanders said. “I’m really proud of it because I’ve been able to see it grow over the past four years.” 

Sanders is also in her second year as a co-stage manager for Cotton Club, a variety show that ends the week. 

While the acts in Cotton Club are a secret until the event, previous years have seen dancers, singers and poets. 

“Being able to portray something that the African American community really does find that they can connect with and share with other individuals is something very powerful that both shows actually do,” Sanders said.  

The week will include more than just entertainment, as a forum has been added to the agenda where students can discuss questions and concerns in the community. 

“This is a new thing that we’ve tried to have, which I feel like is very beneficial because sometimes we’ll think that we’re doing our jobs, but if we’re not being responsive to what the black community needs, then maybe we need to reevaluate ourselves,” Pride said. “That’s a way to see if we’re doing our job.” 

Adding this event to the week makes sure the group hosts events that aren’t just entertainment-based, James said.

“It makes it a full comprehensive week — it’s not just fun and games,” he said. “I think for February, for Black History Month, that’s what it’s all about for me in my position as the educational component. You can have fun, but (have) the education component as well.”

Pride encourages students from all backgrounds to attend the events and other events year-round. 

“Not only are you getting educated about some of the things that we may struggle with, sometimes just it’s just nice to see a different perspectives,” Pride said. “It makes you more open minded or more aware by going to these things, so that’s why I definitely encourage it.”

Miranda can be reached at [email protected].