Deadline extends to submit to Alma Mater time capsule

The deadline to submit a note to the Alma Mater’s time capsule was extended to midnight on April 2. Students, faculty and staff are invited to share greetings and memories with future Illini.

Current Illini and alumni can submit their messages by going online to the University’s homepage.

Joel Steinfeldt, a University public affairs spokesman, said this serves as a unique opportunity to document where the University stands in 2014. 

“It is a way of showing student life (and) faculty life, what the University was like (to) the happy children of the future,” Steinfeldt said.  

The notes submitted online will be compiled in a database and burned onto gold DVDs, he said. The DVDs are archival quality and may last for a few hundred years. 

He added that the DVDs are playable on a regular DVD player and any other future technology that can read DVDs. 

Departments across campus submitted almost 100 small items, which will also go in the capsule along with the DVDs. The time capsule is small, Steinfeldt said, but they are trying to include as many people and campus units as possible.

Due to recent renovation efforts of the Alma Mater, Steindfeldt said the statute will be restored for at least 100 years. Now is the time to be part of the time capsule, Steinfeldt said.

Claire can be reached at [email protected].