University, Carle advised to create engineering-based medical school on Urbana campus

Chancellor Phyllis Wise announced Friday that the University will look into developing a first-of-its-kind engineering-based medical school on the Urbana-Champaign campus after a recommendation from the Tripp Umbach consulting firm.

The University plans on teaming up with the Carle Health System in Urbana to combine education in health sciences, computer science and engineering with healthcare practice, according to an email sent by the Chancellor to University employees.

Carle and the University commissioned a study from Tripp Umbach based on a Business Cluster Development report from Jan. 20. The report recommended that the University develop its biomedical engineering sphere and prepare for changes in the health care system, which calls for research on how to bring more health care to a greater number of people.

“The U.S. health care system is undergoing historic transformation driven by an aging population with more chronic conditions, an influx of millions of new people into the health care system due to the Affordable Care Act, and a severe physician shortage,” the report said. 

Before the University and Carle start to develop the medical school, they will need to have the plan approved by their respective governing bodies in the coming months. 

MaryCate can be reached at [email protected].