Former ISS President Brock Gebhardt dies after car accident

Brock Gebhardt was voted to be the next Student Body President during an Illinois Student Senate meeting in the Illini Union on April 2, 2012. Gebhardt is a former Illini Media board member.

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Former President of the Illinois Student Senate, Brock Gebhardt, passed away Thursday due to injuries he sustained in a car accident from earlier this week.

Gebhardt, who was 23 and formerly served on Illini Media’s Board, accomplished much during his time as ISS president. One of his most notable accomplishments, according to a press release from ISS, was the alliance he formed between the Illinois State Legislature and ISS.

House Bill 2341, the Alcohol Poisoning Immunity Bill, was created in collaboration between State Rep. Naomi Jakobsson, D-103, and Gebhardt.

It sought to protect underage drinkers who seek medical assistance for someone who has alcohol poisoning, or who needs assistance for an alcohol-related emergency.

In February, when the bill was working its way through committees, The Daily Illini Editorial Board heralded the collaboration as “the greatest accomplishment” of the bill, as it helped create a policy on campus and manifest it into a statewide initiative.

The visitation hours for Gebhardt will be held at St. Jude Catholic Church in Dunlap, IL, on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. with a funeral service directly following it.

After the service, there will be lunch served at Barrack’s Cater Inn in Peoria.