Champaign County Economic Development Corporation holds annual meeting for local businesses

Servabo co-founders Tim Deppen and Nishana Ismail display their Shadow device at the annual Champaign County Economic Development Corporation meeting at Artisan Technology Group on Friday.

When you ask Siri certain questions on your iPhone, answers are generated from a search engine developed by Wolfram Research, which was created and hosts its worldwide headquarters in Champaign.

Wolfram was one of the many local businesses represented in the annual Champaign County Economic Development Corporation meeting at Artisan Technology Group Friday.

The meeting is held to recognize the achievements of 23 local businesses, including five startups, who displayed their businesses to an audience of about 200 guests.

The University, city of Champaign and city of Urbana are lead investors in the corporation and each one has invested over $10,000 this year.

“EDC [Economic Development Corporation] is a connector,” said Erik Kotewa, deputy director for Champaign County EDC. “Our main activity is business retention; we want our local business to grow and thrive.”

Each table displayed information and signature products from the local companies. Several products made their debut, including BRG Sports’ movie-themed bike helmets.

“Students aren’t necessarily aware of all those things that are made in Champaign County,” said Carly McCrory, communications director for Champaign County EDC.

The red Solo cup that “most college students are familiar with” is owned and produced by Dart Container Corporation in Urbana, McCrory said.

Another startup presented was Servabo, a local, student-founded startup. Its product, Shadow, connects with smartphones via Bluetooth and calls for help in dangerous situations with just one click, said Tim Deppen, co-founder and recent Ph.D. graduate.

With the corporation’s help, Servabo gathered $100,000 in funding and is working toward its $300,000 goal, Deppen said.

Rithmio, a startup company based in Research Park, demonstrated its gesture-recognizing technology at the meeting.

“The ultimate result is that instead of creating products ourselves, we create a platform that let other companies create gesture-based products,” said Adam Tilton, co-founder of Rithmio and Ph.D. student.

Champaign County EDC discussed its ongoing effort to create 3,000 local jobs, attract $225 million in new private investment and increase per capita income to over $26,000 by the end of 2015.

“We grow the economy,” said Craig Rost, executive director for Champaign County EDC. “We do that by supporting our businesses and by making sure that new companies come here to locate and existing companies can expand here and increase employment.”

Along with helping local businesses, Champaign County EDC is actively involved in local education. During the summer, it helped local company HL Precision Manufacturing, Inc. to develop an enrichment program with local high schools. It sponsors outstanding students with education, gives training for manufacturing skills and aims to provide job opportunities to students.

Karen Foster, Champaign city council member, said she was impressed with the local companies at the meeting.

“To come to events such as this, that highlights 30-some businesses that do so many different things within our community, and within the world, it just makes me proud to be part of Champaign,” Foster said.

Aixin can be reached at [email protected].