Professor named to Nation Advisory Committee

By Daily Illini Staff Report

The U.S. Census Bureau announced that they were adding Julie A. Dowling, associate professor at the University, to the National Advisory Committee on Racial, Ethnic and Other Populations.

Dowling works in the Department of Latina/Latino Studies, where she researches race, identity, immigration and several other topics. She most recently wrote a book, “Mexican Americans and the Question of Race,” which discusses the Mexican-American response to the census race question.

The committee, which consists of 32 members, advises the Census Bureau on factors that may affect the Bureau’s programs, such as housing, youth, poverty, sexuality and ethnicity.

Committee members are chosen based on their expertise and knowledge of cultural issues and patterns. Ten people are selected per year for three-year consecutive terms.

“The board looks for people who are diverse and come from different backgrounds and levels of expertise,” Dowling said. “They may be involved in the business world, the academic world or anything in-between.”

As part of the position, Dowling will discuss with other members how racial issues affect the census. She will also continue working as a professor at the University while serving on the board.

Jessica Heinz contributed to this report.