Arrest made in weekend sexual assault incident

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Police have arrested a suspect in connection with two sexual assaults or attempted sexual assaults that occurred early in the morning on Oct. 11 at 309 E. Green St.

Paul Andrew Rouse, 25, of Schaumburg, was arrested at 6 p.m. Monday in his apartment on the 900 block of South Third Street. Rouse is being held in the Champaign County Jail.

Rouse will be formally charged with 4 counts of home invasion, according to a press release from Champaign State’s Attorney Julia Rietz.

The charges allege that Rouse entered two residences without permission and then committed acts of sexual conduct and sexual penetration by force, according to the release.

Each count is a Class X felony, which is punishable with six to 30 years in prison.

The first incident occurred around 3 a.m. Saturday morning when the victim woke up and found the offender lying in bed with her.

The second, separate incident occurred around 4:30 a.m. in a different apartment, where the second victim woke up with the offender in bed with her. The offender fled when confronted in both incidents.

Champaign police said that the suspect was arrested after significant time and resources were expended following up on leads and processing information.