Police issue safety tips in wake of recent crimes

By Daily Illini Staff Report

After a recent spike in crimes on campus, including two sexual assaults and 12 incidents of robbery and mob action, the Champaign Police Department and the University of Illinois Police Department are urging students to walk in pairs and to stay alert.

According to a release from the CPD, the police departments are working in conjunction with each other to protect students, identify possible suspects and to enact crime prevention strategies.

Such strategies include utilizing uniformed and plain clothes police officers around campus to gather information and keep a look out for suspicious activity, sending out public safety alerts to University students and staff, and working with the U of I Student Patrol.

The Student Patrol consists of students who are trained by and work for the UIPD, who help police patrol during the evening and and early morning.

The UIPD is also encouraging citizens to report suspicious activity to 911, according to the release.

“If you see something, say something,” said UIPD Chief Jeff Christensen, “The purpose of the crime alerts is to educate our community on potential threats, but also to seek assistance in identifying the offenders.”

If students are victimized, police are advising students to try to remain alert and get an accurate description of their attacker. Age, weight, height, race, hair color, build and clothing worn by the attacker can all be used to help identify possible suspects.

If the attacker drives a car, victims should try to get a description of the vehicle as well. Make, model, color, license plate and the condition of the vehicle can be useful in identifying attackers.

Information about crimes can be reported to the Champaign Police Department at 217-351-4545 or anonymously to Crime Stoppers at 373-8477. Information can be texted to 274637 (CRIMES) by including “CCTIP” and the information or anonymously sent electronically to www.373tips.com.