Rauner defeats Quinn in race for governor

Bruce Rauner, a Republican candidate for governor of Illinois, speaks at a public form at the University of Chicago on March 4, 2014. 

By Daily Illini Staff Report

Republican businessman Bruce Rauner has defeated Democratic Gov. Pat Quinn in what has been widely regarded to be one of the closest gubernatorial races of the 2014 election cycle. Tuesday’s victory marks the first time Rauner has been elected to public office.

“This is a historic time in Illinois,” Rauner said. “The voters have spoken. The voters have asked for a divided government. For the first time, we will have a Republican governor and a Democratic legislature.” 

Rauner said he called Mike Madigan, speaker of the Illinois General Assembly, and John Cullerton, president of the Illinois Senate, telling them his win was an opportunity for them to work together.

The average of available polling for the gubernatorial election, compiled by political polling aggregate RealClearPolitics, put Governor Quinn ahead of Rauner by just .8 points going into Election Day, while Quinn’s approval rating hovered around 35 to 40 percent.

Before beginning his political career, Rauner had a successful career working in the investment firm GTCR, which continues to oversee retirement investments for public workers. 

“Let’s shake up Springfield. Let’s bring back Illinois,” he said. 

Compiled by Josh Winters