Marching Illini traveling Dallas for bowl game

The Marching Illini will be joining the Illini football team as they head to Texas for the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl over winter break.

The bowl will take place on Dec. 26, and the team will face Louisiana Tech. Barry Houser, director of the Marching Illini and Athletic Bands, said most of the band, with the exception of those with holiday commitments, will be in attendance. The band will leave for Texas on buses on Dec. 23.

The last bowl attended by the Marching Illini was the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl in San Francisco in 2011. Due to transportation costs, Houser said only a portion of the band was able to attend.

“Everything that we do is supported by the division of intercollegiate athletics,” he said. “They look at what they’re able to do financially based on the bowl payout. A lot of it has to do with location, the length of stay, when its taking place, mode of transportation as well.”

The entire band will attend the bowl game in Dallas.

The band will do a 5-minute pregame performance at the Zaxby’s Heart of Dallas Bowl and a 6-minute halftime performance. The Louisiana Tech Marching Band will also be in attendance.

The band will return to Champaign on Dec. 27.

“We’re just extremely supportive and appreciative to Mike Thomas, to Coach (Tim) Beckman and the rest of the folks in DIA (Division of Intercollegiate Athletics) for allowing us to go.”

Jessica can be reached at [email protected]