Fugitive captured in library

By Daily Illini Staff Report

A Terre Haute, Ind. prison fugitive was captured at the Undergraduate Library, 1402 W. Gregory Dr., Monday evening at around 7 p.m.

According to the report, Michael A. Ward, 61, had escaped a minimum security prison Sunday morning.

A University police officer on a routine patrol took notice of Ward’s suspicious behavior as he roamed the Undergraduate library. While patrolling, the officer took notice of Ward’s off-white, knit bag. This type of bag is typically issued to prisoners, according to a press release.

Skip Frost, deputy chief of the University Police Department, expressed that the second shift officer was patrolling the Undergraduate library as he routinely did. It is a high volume time and the police was just making sure everyone was safe and secure, he said.

The patrolling officer preferred not to share his name, Frost said. He would like the attention to be paid to the great job the University Police department performed.

Ward was deceptive upon questioning, but records indicated that he was a wanted fugitive. He is serving a 120-month sentence for wire fraud, according to the release.

Ward was taken into custody without incident. He was immediately transferred to the Champaign County Jail. U.S. Marshals have been notified of his capture.

Jessica Ramos contributed to the report.