McMillan elected as next BOT chairman

By Abigale Svoboda

The Board of Trustees unanimously elected Trustee Edward McMillan as chairman Thursday. McMillan, who was appointed to his six year term on the board in 2009, will replace Chris Kennedy who chose not to run for re-election.

“It’s been wonderful working along side him as a fellow trustee,” Trustee James Montgomery said after nominating McMillan.

McMillan graduated from the University of Illinois in 1969 with a bachelors degree in agriculture. In addition to his many other accomplishments, McMillan has worked as an external advisor for the College of ACES and sat on the board of directors of the University of Illinois Alumni Association from 1995 to 2008. He is currently the principal and CEO of McMillan L.L.C, M and A Transaction Consultants.

Kennedy’s term ends on Jan. 19. He helped the board through financial challenges and an admissions scandal in 2009, according to a press release.

As chairman, McMillan’s responsibilities include appointing trustees to each of the standing committees of the board as well as naming a chair of each committee. He will also serve as chairman ex officio of the Board of Trustees Executive Committee and will preside over all Board meetings.  

“I just want to say thank you to all of you,” McMillan said. “This has been a great team to serve with and I look forward to us together serving.”

Abigale can be reached at [email protected]