Family to host vigil for missing University student

By Daily Illini Staff Report

(1:50 p.m.) Jan. 31 – The friends and family of Vicente Mundo will host a vigil at 3 p.m. Sunday on the Quad. Attendees are encouraged to bring candles. The vigil has been extended to Cristian Zamora’s family, as well.

Mundo’s family is offering a $10,000 reward for information leading to his return. His sister has posted several fliers around campus on Friday, according to a press release by the University of Illinois Police Department. 

***

The University of Illinois Police Department is looking for a missing student, Vicente Mundo, who was last seen around 7 p.m. Sunday.

Mundo, a 20-year-old Champaign resident, was at a friend’s apartment in the 900 block of South Third Street. Witnesses said he left the apartment to meet a friend and has not been seen since, according to a press release.

Mundo is described as Hispanic with black hair and brown eyes, weighs about 165 pounds and is 6-feet-tall. He drives a silver Acura with Illinois license plate number 2557BD and lives in the 300 block of East Chalmers Street. Mundo’s license plate is a vanity Chicago Bears plate. 

He was last seen wearing a red Blackhawks hat, a blue sweater and jeans. 

“Witnesses said that the absence is out of character for Mundo,” the press release stated.

Anyone with information regarding Mundo should contact the University of Illinois Police Department at 217-333-1216 or the Champaign Police Department at 217-351-4545.

Police are also looking for Cristian Zamora, a 23-year-old graduate from the University; however, investigators do not believe the two cases to be linked. Zamora was last seen on Dec. 31, according to the release.